Skip to main content

Man arrested after motorcycle high-speed police chase


SALYERSVILLE – After a police chase with a motorcycle on October 4, one man is now behind bars.

According to the arrest citation, Salyersville Police Department Officer Jeremiah Watson received a call on Friday evening regarding a motorcycle that was reportedly driving recklessly in the Dixie community of Salyersville. 

Watson parked at the Salyersville First Baptist Church and observed the motorcycle riding on its back tire in front of the park, so he turned on his emergency lights and the motorcycle took off at a high rate of speed. He then turned on his emergency siren and followed the motorcycle onto Church Street, where it drove on the wrong side of the road, then followed as it ran through the red light, turning onto US 460 West. 

Despite being given verbal commands, the driver of the motorcycle, identified as Michael Wayne Slone, 30, of Salyersville, continued to flee police, driving between 80 and 90 mph and nearly hitting every vehicle he passed. Slone reportedly turned onto Gifford Road, then onto the Mountain Parkway heading back toward Salyersville. 

Watson reported in the arrest citation that Slone took Exit 72, disregarded the stop sign going straight, and then took the ramp to get back onto the Parkway, with speeds rising to 120 mph at one point. 

After speeds reached 120, Salyersville Police Department Chief Matthew Watson terminated the pursuit, with Officer Watson turning off his emergency equipment. 

Watson tried to keep Slone in his sight, observing him disregard a traffic light as he turned onto Parkway Drive. Several vehicles ahead of him, Watson lost sight of him, but noticed a lot of dust from the turning lane, so he turned onto Hess Drive.

He exited his cruiser and walked behind a trailer, finding Slone sitting on his motorcycle. Watson gave Slone commands to stop, but he began to try to flee, again, driving through yards, so he deployed his Taser, with one prong hitting Slone.

Reportedly, Slone fled, again, with Magoffin County Sheriff Department Deputy Bryan Tipton passing him on KY Rt. 7. He followed him down Rt. 7 to the Sand Bottom area, as Slone continued to travel at a high rate of speed, almost hitting numerous vehicles.

Slone turned onto Sand Bottom Road, which is a dead-end road, so law enforcement set up a block to stop him. Slone went into a yard, continued towards the city and sheriff’s units. After almost hitting Sheriff Carson Montgomery, who was out of his vehicle, Officer Watson pulled his firearm, challenging him to stop, but Slone went through a barbed wire fence, then crashed through another fence and two mailboxes before laying the motorcycle down on Sand Bottom Road. 

Tipton reported that he noticed Slone had bloodshot eyes and acted like he didn’t know what was going on. He told police he had taken methamphetamine earlier and law enforcement found two small bags of meth in Slone’s wallet.

Slone was taken to Paul B. Hall Medical Center, then transported to the Big Sandy Regional Detention Center, where he remains at press time.

He is facing the following charges: two counts of fleeing or evading police, first degree (motor vehicle); two counts of reckless driving; disregarding a stop sign; disregarding traffic light; failure to comply with helmet law over 21 years of age; wanton endangerment, first degree, police officer; operating a motor vehicle under the influence, first offense; resisting arrest; and possession a controlled substance, first degree, first offense (methamphetamine). 

A preliminary hearing is scheduled in Slone’s felony case for October 14 at 9:15 a.m. at the Magoffin County Justice Center.

Editor's Note: The indictment or charge of a person by a grand jury or otherwise is an accusation only and that person is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.



Ligula dignissim tempor montes laoreet adipiscing metus ullamcorper sapien nostra sollicitudin convallis mi purus rutrum

ARH Top 10 Employers